Tuesday, May 8, 2012


So... I mentioned that I love to run:)  AND I mentioned that the weather in Nebraska is unpredictable.  Those two criteria = photo op above- YIKES!

Last Friday it was me and Sammy (Lexi is a 1st grader) and as is always the case, Sammy kept me very busy because he is quite vocal about his every want and need.  By the time I was ready to load Sammy in the stroller, it was approaching noon.  We have had warmer than usual weather and the sun was out so I was really looking forward to it!  About a mile later, I was ready to collapse from heat stroke, and I am not exaggerating.  At this point, I decide to look at the weather on my iphone.  Um....  90 degrees and humidity so high it would make a monkey's butt in the jungle look cool and inviting.  What in God's name was I thinking?! 

Now, most normal people would just turn back around and find air conditioning.  NOT ME!  Ol' exercise addict thought that would giving up too easily!  I proceeded to run/walk 3 miles while panting, sweating, spitting, coughing, and considering drinking out of the cattle tank.  All the while, Sammy is sleeping peacefully in his shaded stroller, dreaming of what life might be like with a normal mommy.  This was a good thing because only the cows heard my cursing.

Days like these, I ask myself, "Why do I live in Nebraska?!".  I have yet to come up with a good answer.  I suppose it is mostly just because I was born and raised here and roots go awfully deep.  And I do have to say I appreciate the wide open spaces and the good people who are our friends and neighbors.  In Aurora, you still get the feeling that life is good and your kids are safe.  BUT...  these nice things come at a price!  Absolutely ridiculous weather- if it's not cold and snowing, it's hot and humid and WINDY.  And, on my runs there is always a nice array of stenches from road kill and cow dung.  AND. last but not least there is extremely limited shopping unless you drive two hours east or hop online.

But, I am here and happily married with two beautiful children and wonderful family and friends.  So, you take the good with bad and the Cows with the Couture!

No comments:

Post a Comment