Monday, May 21, 2012

Rainbow Connection

Why are there so many songs about rainbows?

Lexi would say it's because they are rare and beautiful. Whenever she spies one, she squeals in delight and demands that I spy it with her. Then we talk about how wonderful and glorious they are!

Ever wondered what color of the rainbow you would be? No? Why would you?

Turns out I have and I've decided I would be on the outside somewhere. Not any of the middle colors because they are just too chill- too mellow.

I would definitely be more of a red. And not necessarily the prettiest red. I would be more the neon, in your face red. Like that crazy bright lipstick your grandma wore to Bingo. Or the neon red ghostbusters sign. Never dull, but never subtle either. Just in your face... OUT THERE!!

I could maybe be purple too. The purple of a huge, clutzy bruise. Or maybe the purple ooze of a grape, like the ooze of sarcasm.

But yellow is too cheery. It says, "Hi! I'm Suzy Homemaker! I just baked bread and planted my garden!!". As much as I can definitely cook and love being a mom , Suzy I am not. I can't imagine living even one day without the sheer joy of sarcasm and dark humor!!

And orange is a little too out there. Yes, it's vibrant and eye catching. But it also has a raucous edge that reminds me of an out of control toddler with orange kool-aid on his lips. Let's face it- I don't have that much energy.

And green, as much as I love it, it's just too earthy, too NATURAL! (Except the vibrant green for Visalus;) Green is for the J Jill girl who embraces her natural beauty and enjoys a great denim romper. The girl who takes one look at me and frowns with disdain at my excess and my RED-PURPLENESS.

Now blue? Maybe. Blue is chill but not in a way that green is. It has an edge. Blue is a mood and a music genre and my favorite color. Blue is cool. It's nice.

What's amazing is that all of the colors of the rainbow, as different as they are, all co-exist and compliment each other. A rainbow would not be so rare and glorious without every single one of those colors. So the next time you see a girl like me, think about that. And the next time I see a denim romper... Nope can't do it. So judge away and we will co-exist peacefully- each secretly smug that WE are the bomb!! HA!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment