Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Legend of Billie Jean

Remember the 1985 movie, The Legend of Billie Jean?  It debuted the song, "Love is a Battelfield", and was the story of a teenage girl intent on righting the wrongs of society.  The Heroine became an icon of strength and rebellion by cutting off her long blonde hair and standing up for youth everywhere.


One guess as to who tried to look like Billie Jean that year.  Epic fail.

So maybe I wasn't meant to be Billie Jean.  But I was meant to help youth and fight for the underdog. There's something so challenging and rewarding about that.  And let's face it- most of us have been there at some point.

I was the tall, skinny, awkward girl who could beat you in the 50 yard dash, sing you a song, and play a mean viola, but at the end of the day, I would have told you I was average and the underdog.  My family didn't have wealth and privilege.  When I went to Junior High I was not cool.  Ever.  So I can relate to the awkward teenager who walks in my office.  And I will do my damnest to get that teenager to grow wings and fly.

There are some who would argue my high maintenance is overcompensation for that awkward girl who longed to be Billie Jean.  But I think it's the end result of dreaming and believing and working hard to become the person that a young girl might say, "I want to be like her".  And not just because I have on Jessica Simpson animal print heels.  But because they saw my love of fashion and beauty and femininity and then were intrigued enough to figure out more about me.  To figure out that I have an even deeper love of friends and family.

So I am not Billie Jean:)  But I am Lexi and Sammy's mommy.  And I am a wife and a friend and all of those other words that mean I am not perfect but I will still die trying!  So bring on the Latisse and Botox and let's do this!

 Hell- the cows can even watch;)

No comments:

Post a Comment